Tuesday, August 02, 2011

borrowed words, Part Three

Words are such a gift.  I am currently watching my small son learn the potential of words.  "Chocolate", I say, and his face lights up.  "No-no", and his brow furrows in disapproval of his own.  He hears "Daddy" and turns to listen for the opening of the door.  We don't even say "outside" unless we mean to take him there.  Words make things happen, he is finding, and bring order and meaning to his world.  I can't wait for his first joke.

It is with a consciousness of the gift that words are, that I appreciate especially the first two quotes here, and, down further, the one from Aristotle.  The ability to say what you mean is at the same time one of the most practical of all skills, and one which brings to life the most peace and beauty.


Loud talking is a sign of a consciousness that one's reasoning is feeble. ~Dr. Frank Crane

Profanity comes from a limited vocabulary. ~Dr. Frank Crane

The strongest being conceivable is God. And He is so modest, quiet, and hidden that many people refuse to believe there is a God. He never blusters. Hence, many humbugs cannot understand how He exists. ~Dr. Frank Crane

I come into the fields and spacious palaces of my memory, where are treasures of countless images of things in every manner. ~St. Augustine

Learning is an ornament in prosperity, a refuge in adversity. ~Aristotle

When I say “I”, I mean a thing absolutely unique, not to be confused with any other. ~Ugo Betti

Every step forward that we take we leave some phantom of ourselves behind. ~John Lancaster Spalding

It is only when mind and body quit and rest that the soul comes out for an airing. ~Dr. Frank Crane

Sweeter shall the roses blow
In those far years, those happier years;
And children weep when we lie low
Far fewer tears, far softer tears.
         ~Dr. Frank Crane

No comments:

Post a Comment

now, share your response?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...