Friday, April 05, 2013

a little more palatable

After baring my soul about the groundhog, I hasten to serve up something a little tastier for you.

Last month, my Farmer's precious aunt, having overheard my weariness, offered to watch the children for a few hours while I ran errands.  She showed up with a meal for us, and included in it were these delicious, nutritious, energy-packed snacks.  She called them "energy balls", and credited our pastor's wife with the recipe, which she shared with me, and I'll share with you.  They are a bit of a bear to mix up, requiring, perhaps, the consumption of a ball from the previous batch to energize your arm.

My mother, ever a great economizer, added to this excellent recipe the idea of simply pressing the mixture into a pan to cut into bars.  Less elegant, perhaps, but so much easier that the elegance is barely missed, especially in light of the fact that while my children love to eat them, they do not so much love to shape them into balls.

Without further ado, I give you:

Energy Bars (or Balls)
1 cup regular oats
1 cup unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
1/2 cup flaxmeal
1 T chia seeds (sesame seeds are also good)
1/2 cup nut butter (I've been using 3/4 cup natural peanut butter)
1/3 to 1/2 cup honey (maple syrup would also be good)
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt

Mix all ingredients together using either (or alternating) a smashing or cutting motion.  Chill 45 minutes and shape into balls, or skip the chilling and press mixture into an 8x8" pan.  Store in the refrigerator and save the last one to eat before mixing up the next batch!  Delicious!





1 comment:

  1. These energy bars (or balls) are interesting. I will copy and save this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

now, share your response?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...